ON THE WINGS OF MY MOTHER



A Mother's day tribute to my Mother,(since deceased), and all Mothers, past and present

ON THE WINGS OF MY MOTHER

Sometimes life takes us for a ride, an emotional high that propels us far above the clouds where no space ship could ever take us. I’ve experienced just such a ride, and it came with the woman who brought me into this world, loved me, cared for me, nurtured me, and prepared me for the trip we all embark on, that is life’s journey. This amazing woman was my 92 year old Mother Ruth.
Ruth was one of 11 siblings, born on a Nebraska farm in 1916. Ruth demonstrated early vigor by surviving the ravages of scarlet fever that took the lives of two of her siblings. My Mother never enjoyed the luxuries we all enjoy today, running water, electricity, telephones, television, washers, dryers, or microwavable meals. She washed clothes by hand on a wash board, bathed once a week in a galvanized bath tub, carried water from the well to the house, prepared every meal from scratch, and created her own wholesome entertainment through neighborhood ball games, played with family, friends, and neighbors in nearby cow pastures.
Ruth became known for her ball playing prowess early on as she established her ball playing talents, and was a much sought after talent at tournament time. Neighboring town teams would call upon her to either pitch or catch; she was known as a spike player. One of her most accomplished moments was when she hit four home runs in one game, and loved to tell of how proud her old Welsh father was when her name headlined the weekly newspaper. She was the female version of Babe Ruth, and to her last days relished reliving those wonderful moments of enjoyment, and if you'd put a ball in her hand, she would still play a little catch with you. Now to the story.
Over the past several years, I had grown apart from my only surviving sister, much to my Mother’s disappointment. Her greatest wish was for her two children to reconcile while she was still alive. Little did either of us know just how, when, or if ever this might occur. As a result of a life threatening set of circumstances, and complications, I arrived from Florida at my Mother’s bedside in Nebraska to be near in her time of need. I spent wonderful hours of reminiscing conversation, along with massaging her feet, hands, and addressing tender spots resulting from numerous surgeries, and subsequent complications. She affectionately reminded me that I was merely repaying a debt for all the hours she had spent doing the same for me during my own childhood battle with polio. My Mother had earned the admiration of Drs. and staff alike, as the toughest, most determined 98 lb.warrior they had ever encountered. Indeed Ruth demonstrated “I’m a fighter – not a quitter” qualities that would make Hillary Clinton envious.
On my 2nd day there, my Sis and I found ourselves on either side of our ailing Mother’s bed, each holding one of her hands, and feeling an over-whelming surge of emotion. After a few fleeting moments Sis and I could resist no longer, as simultaneously we reached across Mother’s lap and grasped each other’s free hand. Words can not begin to describe the ensuing powerful emotional moments. As if by magic we had connected the too long unconnected dots allowing powerful emotions to flow freely between the three of us; in one poignant moment in time, the three of us once again had became one.
As if to put an exclamation point on this powerful moment, Mother’s eyes opened, and with tears of joy flowing down her cheeks she uttered precious words only a loving Mother can deliver; “all is well with my world”; she closed her eyes and smiled knowing her prayer’s had been answered. Our 92 year old, 98 pound Mother, had put me and my Sister on her back and took us to emotional heights no airliner, no space shuttle, or no rocket propelled launch could ever attain. Indeed we had experienced a once in a lifetime emotional high on the wings of our wonderful Mother.
I share this personal moment in the hopes of motivating each of you as Mother’s day approaches, and who may still take that flight on the wings of your Mother; DO NOT pass it up, it’s a ride you’ll never forget.
A MOTHER – GOD’S GREATEST CREATION

No comments:

Post a Comment