“The Secret State Series #10” How the War was Won:Bites #6-10, From Warsaw to Berlin

The Secret State Series #10
Related image
Story of a Secret State stands as one of the most poignant and inspiring memoirs of World War II and the Holocaust. With elements of a spy thriller, documenting his experiences in the Polish Underground, and as one of the first accounts of the systematic slaughter of the Jews by the German Nazis, this volume is a remarkable testimony of one man's courage and a nation's struggle for resistance against overwhelming oppression.
Karski was a brilliant young diplomat when war broke out in 1939 with Hitler's invasion of Poland. Taken prisoner by the Soviet Red Army, which had simultaneously invaded from the East, Karski narrowly escaped the subsequent Katyn Forest Massacre. He became a member of the Polish Underground, the most significant resistance movement in occupied Europe, acting as a liaison and courier between the Underground and the Polish government-in-exile. He was twice smuggled into the Warsaw Ghetto, and entered the Nazi's Izbica transit camp disguised as a guard, witnessing first-hand the horrors of the Holocaust.
Karski's courage and testimony, conveyed in a breathtaking manner in Story of a Secret State, offer the narrative of one of the world's greatest eyewitnesses and an inspiration for all of humanity, emboldening each of us to rise to the challenge of standing up against evil and for human rights. This definitive edition—which includes a foreword by Madeleine Albright, a biographical essay by Yale historian Timothy Snyder, an afterword by Zbigniew Brzezinski, previously unpublished photos, notes, further reading, and a glossary—is an apt legacy for this hero of conscience during the most fraught and fragile moment in modern history.

Jan Karski was born in ód , Poland, in 1914. 
He received a degree in Law and Diplomatic Science in 1935 and served as a liaison officer of the Polish Underground during World War II. He carried the first eyewitness report of the Holocaust to a mostly unbelieving West, meeting with President Roosevelt in 1943 to plead for Allied intervention. Story of a Secret State was originally published in 1944, becoming a bestseller and Book of the Month Club selection. After the war, Karski earned his PhD at Georgetown University, where he served as a distinguished professor in the School of Foreign Service for forty years. He died in Washington, DC, in 2000. Karski has been recognized as Righteous Among the Nations by Yad Vashem. In 2012, he was posthumously awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by our President.
"His wartime saga as officer, as Soviet prisoner, as escapee, in the hands of the Gestapo, and as a Polish Underground activist and courier, is beyond remarkable. In a world today where words such as 'courage' and 'heroism' have been so overused—applied freely from sports to entertainment to politics as to be rendered practically meaningless—Jan Karski was the rare human being who embodied both."
Related image

"In the words of James Russell Lowell's rousing hymn:
'Once to every man and nation, comes the moment to decide, in the strife of truth with falsehood, for the good or evil side.' Perhaps more than most of us, Jan Karski faced such a choice in the starkest of possible terms, and made his decision as courageously as one could. . . . Jan Karski was a patriot and a truth teller; may his words always be read and his legacy never forgotten.
"Secret State is an indispensable and compelling historical document of World War II and the Holocaust, written by a supremely courageous humanitarian."
Related image
The Secret State Series #10:
“How the War was Won” The Atlantic Charter: Declaration of War:
by Jan Karski:
Highlights and excerpts by PL Sturgis:
Reference Collier's Encyclopedia: Book 2 page 431:
 Highlights PL Sturgis:
A Declaration was made in a joint statement issued August 14,1941, by President Franklin D. Roosevelt and Prime Minister Winston Churchill, following a meeting held aboard the USS somewhere in the North Atlantic August 9 through 12. The charter sets forth the principles of the United States and the United Kingdom propose to shape their national policies ---DURING THE PERIOD OF WORLD WAR 2 AND THE POST WAR PERIOD! 
The text of the statement follows:
The President of the United States of America and the Prime Minister Winston Churchill, representing His majesty’s government in United Kingdom, being met together deem it right to make known certain in the national policies of their respective countries, on which they base their hopes for a better future for the world. 
1. Our countries seek no increase in power: territorial or other:
2. Our country's desire to see no territorial changes that do not accord with the fully expressed wishes of the people concerned. 
3. Our countries respect the right of all people to choose the form of government under which they will live. They wish to see sovereign rights and self government restored to those who have been deprived of them. 
4. Our countries will endeavor with due respect for their existing obligations to further the enjoyment by all States, great or small, victor or vanquished, of access on equal terms to the trade and the raw materials of the world which are needed for their economic prosperity.
5. All countries deserve to bring about the fullest collaboration in the economic field with the object of security for all improved labor standards, economic advancement, and social security. 
6. After the final destruction of the Nazi tyranny we hope to see established a peace which will afford to all nations the meaning of dwelling in safety within our own boundaries, and which will afford assurance that all people in all Lands may live out their lives in freedom from fear and want. 
7. such a peace should enable all people to travel the high seas and oceans without hindrance. 
8. Our countries believe that all nations of the world, for realistic as well as spiritual reasons, must come to the abandonment of the use of force. Since no future peace can be maintained if land, sea, or air, armaments continued to be employed by nations which threaten aggression outside of their frontiers, our countries believe, pending the system of general security, the destruction of such national regimes is essential. This will likewise aid and encourage all other people of their crushing burden of armaments. Declaration of War:



Daily Bites of The Secret State  Series #10:
How the War was Won:
“The Atlantic Charter” by Roosevelt and Churchill”
Bites #6-10, From Warsaw to Berlin:
#7) An Unnecessary Risk:
#8) Visiting old Friends:
#9) Friends of my Enemies:
#10) Brainwashing the Youth:
                by Jan Karski :


#6) From Warsaw to Berlin:

The day to which I had been looking forward to for so long had arrived. I left Warsaw without any fanfare and with no one to see me off. My papers were in perfect order. The seal on my photograph magnificently faked; the film was excellently concealed. I had plenty of money and was in high spirits. The train was congested with passengers of every conceivable nationality. This made me completely inconspicuous. Nevertheless, I scanned faces searching for Gestapo agents, whom I felt I could recognize at once. When I spotted one, or when I was asked to produce my papers, I felt uncomfortable. However, there was no danger so long as I did not become involved in a conversation in which I might expose myself. To forestall this possibility I had brought along a bottle of medicine. I sat in the corner of my compartment, dampened a handkerchief, and dabbed at my mouth pretending to suffer pain from a toothache. I felt sure that anybody who caught a glimpse of my pain contorted face would refrain from speaking to me. The trip to Berlin was slow and monotonous. The compartment was cramped and smelly. The train rattled and bounced uncomfortably. Arriving in Berlin I was possessed of a lively curiosity as to the real situation in Germany. there seemed to be no way of satisfying it other than paying a visit to an old school friend of mine named Rudolph .

#7) An Unnecessary Risk:

Rudolph and his family had always expressed deep liberal beliefs and I felt that, even now, they were probably silent and steadfast opponents of the Hitler regime. I hoped that Rudolph would not be in their army since he had always been extremely frail. I did not want to miss the opportunity to find out what was taking place in Germany; how it looked and what the people thought. Besides, I always liked Rudolph and Berta and wanted to see them again. It did not occur to me that my desire would expose me to another unnecessary risk. On the whole, the odds seemed highly in favor of a successful visit. In Berlin my schedule called for me to change within an hour for my trip to Paris but I loitered around the station till I watched the train depart. I knew another train was not due till the following day. I asked the station master if I could check the sites and then hang around the station for the next train. He agreed and I checked my suitcase in, then washed up and walked to Rudolph and Berta’s home. 

#8) Visiting Old Friends:

I had no difficulty finding Rudolph’s house which was in a middle class area. They invited me in, took me into the Study and brought me some coffee. At first the visit was constrained. When the reserve vanished Rudolph responded passionately on the destiny of Germany. He surprised me by admitting that events on the Eastern Front were somewhat disappointing but all his doubts could be stilled instantly by a magical phrase: “The Fuehrer knows what he is doing!” When an event was mentioned which had unfavorable possibilities for the Reich, this phrase was repeated like the refrain of a popular song. they were not willing to discuss wages, working conditions, or anything similar. The dinner table discussion centered on the Jews. Rudolph and Berta gave vent to all the common Nazi remarks on the subject. I made an effort to pierce their thick skin with some of the most abominable and revolting practices I had witnessed. I spoke of the cruel packing of Jews in the death train. This was Rudolph’s remark: “Very efficient. Now those Jewish corpses will not be allowed to spread disease as they do when they are alive!” Berta said it was a merciful death for they were warm! During the course of the meal I detected a note of hostility toward me and I began to worry.

#9) Friends of my Enemies:

I was shocked when Rudolph made that crude remark about the Jews not being able to spread disease since they were murdered. I was alarmed when Berta stood up from the dinner table and asked to be excused to talk to Rudolph alone. What a fool I had been to come here. I knew if they intended to call the police I could never escape from here. They returned in a few minutes. Rudolph seemed strained, nervous, and a bit embarrassed. Berta looked stubbornly calm and determined. Rudolph spoke to me in a tense, hoarse whisper. “Jan, I hate to say this to you . Personally I am very fond of you but we will have to part. All the Polish people are the enemy of our Fuehrer and the Third Reich. They try to harm Germany whenever they can. They serve the Jewish and the British interests. They even try to help the Russian barbarians. I know that you are different but what can I do? This is war time and we will have to break off relations with you.” My fear subsided but my anger mounted at the stupid speech, particularly at the concluding remark: Besides, he added, drops of sweat forming on his worried brow, “We are in danger to be seen talking to foreigners.” I mastered my anger. “I am sorry you feel that way,” I said. “I wanted to be your friend and the friend of the German people.” I bowed coolly and left the table. Inwardly I was seething with annoyance. How I envied those fellows who could drop bombs on their Leaders. 


#10) Brainwashing the Youth:

After I grabbed my coat to leave my traitor friends I noticed a group of men standing outside the restaurant. I felt a shiver run up my spine. I greeted them in German and I was so relieved when they answered. My first impulse was to dash for safety. Anywhere in Berlin I felt as though I was surrounded by enemies. Realizing my fears were imaginary I slowed down and strolled about for a while. The words of Rudolph filled me with pride. “All the Polish people are enemies of our Fuehrer. They try to harm Germany whenever they can.” ---What a tribute to my country! I returned to the train station and laid down to rest in the cold gloomy waiting room. My mind flashed back to former times when I had been with Rudolph and Berta. They had been so kind and sincere in their affections toward me. Now they were hopelessly spoiled. the problem whether anything could redeem them occupied my thoughts. After the war what would happen to the German people? For more than a decade they had been under a regime that had eliminated every trace of humanity and decency. Could the youths be like the specimens of the little boys I had seen in the Warsaw Ghetto who hunted the Jews to kill them just for the sport of it? Could they ever be brought back to share in a world based on decency and respect for others? I left Berlin, Germany the following morning on the next train out.


(to be continued) ....



(To be continued ) 


Image result for Secret State Series by Jan Karski 1944



Daily Bites of The Secret State Series #10 
How the War was Won:
The Atlantic Charter” by Roosevelt and Churchill”
Bites #11-15, From Berlin to Brussels to Paris:
#12) Contacting the French Underground:
#13) True to form “Warbird”
#14) Destination: Allied Authorities:
#15) Journey to the Border:
by Jan Karski 1944 :
“From The Secret State”


The Secret State: Series 10:

#1) Eyewitness to Mass Murder:

#2) Escaping the Death Camp:

#3) Recovering from a Living Nightmare:

#4) The Farewell Party: 

#5) The Sacred Ceremony: 

#6) From Warsaw to Berlin:

#7) An Unnecessary Risk:


#8) Visiting old Friends:

#9) Friends of my Enemies:

#10) Brainwashing the Youth:


#11) From Berlin to Brussels to Paris:

#12) Contacting the French Underground:

#13) True to form “Warbird”

#14) Destination: Allied Authorities:

#15) Journey to the Border:

#16) The Old Spaniard:

#17) Landing in Barcelona:

#18) Reaching my Contact:

#19) Meeting the Consul General:

#20) Receiving the Necessary Certificates:

#21) Through Algeria to London:

#22) Two Days of Preliminary Reports:

#23) Reporting to Poland’s Underground Leader:

#24) General Sikorski’s Report to United Nations:

#25) A Friend and a Commander in Chief:

#26) Awarded the Cross of Virtuti Militari:

#27) My Report to United Nations for Poland:

#28) My Report to United Nations War Crimes Commission:

#29) Last Day with General Sikorski:

#30) Crossing the Finish Line: (the end)


LibertygroupFreedom    

https://redd.it/6y400k


To be Continued in the Next Daily Bites of “The Secret State Series #10”
How the War was Won:
“The Atlantic Charter” by Roosevelt and Churchill”

Image result for Secret State Series by Jan Karski 1944




 


TRY FRIENDS OF LIBERTY ADD FREE

FRIENDS OF LIBERTY
 "FIGHTING FOR FREEDOM AND LIBERTY"
Stand Up To Government Corruption and Hypocrisy
                                                                                                    


NEVER FORGET THE SACRIFICES
BY OUR VETERANS 

Note: We at Friends of Liberty cannot make any warranties about the completeness, reliability and accuracy of this information.

Don't forget to follow the Friends Of Liberty on Facebook and our Page also Pinterest , Twitter , Tumblr and Google Plus PLEASE help spread the word by sharing our articles on your favorite social networks.


LibertygroupFreedom    


Friends of Liberty is a non-partisan, non-profit organization with the mission to Educate, protect and defend individual freedoms and individual rights.

Support the Trump Presidency and help us fight Liberal Media Bias. Please LIKE and SHARE this story on Facebook or Twitter.
WE THE PEOPLE
TOGETHER WE WILL MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN
Join The Resistance and Share This Article Now!







Help us spread the word about the Friends Of Liberty Blog we're reaching millions help us reach millions more.

‼️️ ♻️ PLEASE SHARE ♻️ ‼️️

Please SHARE this now! The Crooked Liberal Media will hide and distort the TRUTH. It’s up to us, Trump social media warriors, to get the truth out. If we don’t, no one will!

Share this story on Facebook and let us know because we want to hear YOUR voice!

No comments:

Post a Comment