On Screaming


I'm sitting here this morning with a mountain within me of things to rail against; there is so much wrong with the world today that I literally don't know where to start. I want to scream at the US government for driving this country and the Constitution into complete and utter ruin. I want to scream at every last one of my fellow Americans, including myself, for giving the keys of our nation to all those morons in Washington DC. I want to scream at ourselves for not doing enough to save this, the greatest society since the dawn of mankind. I want to scream at all the hatred and killing and war and greed and evil that has enveloped the world like a wet towel, all in the name of religion and freedom and race and sexual orientation and pride and prejudice and fear and honor and all the other insane reasons to split us up from each other. I want to scream at all the good people who sit at home silently watching the news, knowing something has to be done but not doing it. I want to scream at all the outright lies and the half-truths and closed minds and open hands stretched out wanting things they feel entitled to. I want to scream for those who have no voice, for those who have screamed so much they've become hoarse, for the children of the world who are going to have a tougher life than we are now. I want to scream at the futility of screaming.

But screaming can only get me so far. I can scream until I'm blue in the face, and then I'll have a sore throat and a blue face. On Facebook today a Libertarian friend warned us all to 'gird our loins' to in the fight against the downfall of our nation, and another friend responded "No, Americans will roll over and do nothing, wide scale revolt (most likely necessarily armed) is now required in order to retore the U.S. constitution, however, there's simply too many sheeple and not enough common sense human beings left in the world, sorry, but the united states is over, we have too many sports fans . . . for anything to change." As I read those words I thought "He's probably right. It is too late. All I can do prepare for the worst and concentrate on caring for my own." But this is the type of attitude that will certainly bring my friend's prophesy true; this is the attitude that got us here to start with. So with what voice I have left in me, I bellow "NEVER GIVE UP!"

Matthew 7:12 gives us the words of Jesus saying "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." When you live this truth you are not giving up. Remember His words in Matthew 26:52: "He that lives by the sword will die by the sword." Take this to heart, not to judge others, but to remind yourself that what you put out is what you get back. Implement Christ's declaration of the two great commandments in Matthew 22:37-39: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself." While you're in the book of Matthew, read chapters 5 through 7, or what is commonly known as the Sermon on the Mount. It contains guidelines for how to transform you life, how to ease the suffering of your troubled heart, how to make a change, how to not give up. Even if you are not a Christian, you will find the life, words and ministry of Jesus an excellent yardstick for being.

No, I can't go out today and change the mess those stinking politicians have made of our country. No, I can't go around shaking everyone by the shoulders and telling them to wake up and make a difference in their life. No, I can't repair the divisiveness that plagues society; I can't make haters stop hating. I can't end hunger and pain on the whole planet. No, I can't turn it all around and save the world. Not by myself. But I CAN try to live my life through Christ's example. I CAN share the Good News with those whose lives touch mine. I CAN transform my life from a screamer to a DO-er. I CAN let God's love flow through me, to use my unique talents for His will.


I can tell someone today that I love them. I can treat those who I interact with as I want them to treat me, and not expect them to reciprocate. I can calm a troubled heart when I come across it, even if it is my own. I can and I am and I will. This is the opposite of giving up. It is giving.

No comments:

Post a Comment